Sunday, July 3, 2011

Lace Hat Boxes


So I had some old, ugly hat boxes that matched my room when I was a kid.  Needless to say they didn't quite match my current decor.  If this doesn't sound like you, but you like the idea of a cute hat box for decoration and/or storage, then I've got the solution for you.

This is what you need:
1.  A cardboard hat box. (only $3 for one about 8 inches in diameter!)
2.  Spray paint in two colors (you may need two cans of each if doing more than one box,  I used 2 cans of each and I had 4 boxes with hard to cover prints)
3.  Lace fabric (you can get a roll of it at Hobby Lobby for $2)
4.  Newspaper
5.  Scissors
6.  Tape

This is how you pull this off:
1.  Spray paint the bottom section of the box laying upside down in one color.  Spray the lid in the other color.
2.  Once the lid has dried lay the lace over the lid and tape the edges underneath to it's pulled tight and covers the whole lid.
3.  Spray over the lace in the same color as the bottom of the box.
4.  Pull the lace off the lid once you're done painting so it doesn't dry and stick to the lid.
5.  Let all of your items dry and tada!  You're done!

Now you've got a cute decorative piece to add to your room.  Plus it's functional as storage!  Win win!

No comments: